Seriously, What Thyroid Tests Do I Really Need?

By | May 12, 2015

Thyroid is an endocrine gland that consists of two connected lobes and is found in the neck below the thyroid cartilage. The thyroid gland is responsible for the control of how quickly the body manipulates the use of proteins and makes use of energy. The gland is also responsible for sensitivity of the body to hormones. TFTs refer to thyroid function tests which are a collective term for blood tests that can be used to check on the functionality of the thyroid. The test is implemented if a patient is suffering from hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. The same test can be used interesting thyroid suppression and gives a notion to hormone replacement therapy.

Seriously, What Thyroid Tests Do I Really Need?

Seriously, What Thyroid Tests Do I Really Need?

The most important thyroid hormones are Thyroxine (T4) and Triiodothyronine (T3) one with the count of 99.9% and the other 0.1% respectively of the thyroid hormones in the blood. The most active hormone that is responsible for the reaction of metabolism cells is T3. T4 is release in large amount in the thyroid glands which is the converted to T3. Statistics from the Thyroid Federation International show that approximately 300 million people in the world suffer from thyroid gland dysfunction. Unfortunately half of them don’t even have the slightest idea that they have the problem.

Hypothyroidism for example, which is simply reduced thyroid hormone disorder, is a condition that most doctors misdiagnose despite the fact that it is affecting so many people in the world.  Its symptoms include;

  • Inability to tolerate cold
  • Tiredness
  • Weight gain
  • Retarded or delayed growth in children

Hypothyroidism is associated with too little iodine in the diet from which the main cause of hypothyroidism is the autoimmune condition known as hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Other causes constitute an injury to the hypothalamus, previous treatments that constitute radioactive iodine, a consequent injury to the anterior pituitary gland and specified medications.

Nonetheless, a thyroid surgery and a consequent failure in the functioning of the thyroid at birth can be reasons for the development of hypothyroidism. From this point of view, it is important to note that hypothyroidism can be treated by using manufactures levothyroxine an endeavor that depicts the normalization of the consequent thyroxin as well as the symptoms of the latter altogether. The condition is known to depict mild or no symptoms at all on people suffering from the condition. The situation is mainly a result of lacking ample thyroid hormones. The hashimoto’s thyroiditis can depict in the perspective of mass effect as goiter which can be described as an enlarged thyroid gland altogether. In a bid to insinuate the possibility of hypothyroidism, one can test by testing a reflex on the right ankle. A delayed relaxation on the same depicts the possibility of the conditional together.

Extreme hypothyroidism is known as Myxedema coma which symptoms include very low body temperature with no shivers, reduced breathing rate, slow heart rate and confusion. Other signs are skin change and tongue enlargement. In pregnant women even mild hypothyroidism can lead to miscarriage, death of infant around the time of birth, birth of children with very low IQ and the risk of pre-eclampsia. After birth it causes gestational diabetes to the mothers as well as less than 37 weeks child birth.

In children hypothyroidism makes them appear to have a big head than normal even thought the height and weight may be okay. Other effects include hoarse crying, umbilical hernia, low muscle tone, open posterior fontanelle, enlarged tongue, feeding problems and jaundice. Goiters may develop later for children with thyroid glands that produce non functional hormone. If not treated it may result to very low intellectual ability of the child and delayed growth. In puberty, adolescents experience sleepiness, increased hair growth, muscle weakness and irregular menstrual cycles in girls.

In hospitals, some may diagnose a particular TSH reading high while others render it normal. A good diagnosis is one that the doctor or hospital takes into account the patient’s personal history of symptoms and risk factors of hyperthyroidism then the patient’s blood analysis since doctors continue to debate on what comprise normal thyroid levels.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *