Everything seems perfect if it is balanced. As excess of everything is bad likewise deficiency of anything could be bad. This is also true for white blood cells which are also known as leukocytes. If excess of white blood cells are produced in the body then it can lead to cancer. However, if there is low white blood cell count it can also be proved dangerous.
Types of white blood cells:
There are 5 main types of the white blood cells:
- lymphocytes (T-cells and B-cells
Causes of low white blood cell count:
A low white blood cell count is usually caused due to the following reasons:
- Infections such as viral infections which temporarily disrupt the normal bone marrow function.
- Cancer or some other diseases which damage the bone marrow.
- Aplastic anemia.
- Congenital disorders which are then characterized by the diminished of bone marrow function
- Autoimmune disorders which can destroy white blood cells or even bone marrow cells.
- Infectious diseases
- Overwhelming infection which uses up white blood cells much faster as compared to the rate at which they can be produced.
- Myelodysplastic syndromes.
- Use of drug which destroy the white blood cells and the bone marrow and in this way results in low white blood cell count.
- Parasitic diseases.
- congenital disorders.
- Certain medications, such as antibiotics and diuretics
- Hypersplenism, which is a premature destroying of blood cells by the spleen.
- Kostmann’s syndrome, that is a congenital disorder that involves low neutrophil production.
- Myelokathexis, that is a congenital disorder it involves failure of neutrophils from enter the bloodstream.
- Other autoimmune disorders.
- Radiation therapy or radio therapy..
- Deficiency of vitamins.Facts about low white blood cell count:
- It is a condition in which the number of white blood cells in the bloodstream are decreased, and it affects the body ability to fight against infections.
- It is a disease of blood cells which is defined by absolute neutrophil count of less than 1500 per microliter.
- It may be caused by and is associated with some numerous medical conditions.
- Most of the infections that can occur as a result of low white blood cells count are because of the bacteria that are present on the skin or even in the gastrointestinal or might be in urinary tract.
- Treatment of this disease depends upon what has caused this disease to develop and the severity of condition and as well as on the underlying disease state which is responsible for the disease.
Treatment of low white blood cells count:
If you are suffering from low blood cell counts, then your treatment will depend up on which of the white blood cells count are low because there are many types of white blood cells. Furthermore, it also depends upon what is causing the low numbers of white blood cells. Listed below are the Common treatments for low white blood cells count:
- Blood transfusions:
Blood Transfusion helps people with low levels of platelets and red blood cells. By means of rthe blood transfusion you are given either red blood cells or the platelets from people who are donor. Even though transfusion of white blood cells is possible, it is reserved for specific and very rare situations because of the reason it has the risk of many of the complications.
Doctor might prescribe you the medication that will stimulate the production of more blood cells in this way it will compensate for the low white blood cells count . Medications have been proved to have benefits and some associated risks as well, so you should have to talk to the doctor about the possible side effects of these treatment drugs which are used to boost up the blood cell counts which are beyond the normal level..
- Stopping treatment:
In some severe cases patient may need to delay his or her cancer treatment so that his or her blood cell counts arise.
The Choice of treatment for low white blood cells count depends upon the physical condition of the patient. If physical condition is too weak then some treatments can harm the patient instead of curing the disease of low white blood cells count.
Copping with low white blood cells count:
There are certain measures that you have to take so that you may cope with the low white blood cell count. Here we go with some measure or ways to cope with this disease.
- Eating a balanced diet:
Eating a diet that is balanced and healthy improves your body’s potential to cope with the low blood cells count. Our body needs to have all the vitamins and all the nutrients in a balanced way so that it it can get to heal itself during or after your treatment. Choice of plenty of fruits and vegetables is good for health. If the treatment complications make your eating difficult and problematic. for instance, if you are experiencing nausea and vomiting or the mouth sores then you should experiment he find food that you can tolerate easily without any trouble or dificulty.
- Avoid injury:
Your any daily activity may result in some injury or cut especially if you are a house wife working in kitchen or a cook . A low platelet count makes even minor abrasions very serious. The low white blood cell count could turn the small cut into a starting point and it results in the serious infections. Use an electric shaver and avoid use of razor so that you may decrease the risk the nicks. You can ask someone else to cut food in the kitchen so that you may not get a cut or some injury or wound because if it happened blood will not clould and much blood will flowing out and it will also decrease blood level. Be gentle whenyou are brushing your teeth or blowing your nose.
- Avoid germs.:
You have to avoid contact with such things that may be contaminated with the germs if it happened than you may get serious infections if you have low white blood cells count. You should Avoid unnecessary exposure to germs whenever, wherever and forever as much as you can. You should wash your hands frequently or you should use a liquid hand sanitizer. You have to avoid people who are sick or ill and have to stay away from crowds that are how you can avoid much contact or exposure to germs. You should have someone else who clean the litter box, the bird cage or the fish tank. Do not eat raw meat or eggs. Eat thoroughly boiled or cooked eggs or meat to avoid germs or bacteria that may cause serious infection.
If after your daily activity you feel tired, you should stop at once and take some rest. Rest is very good to cope with this disease In this way the body will be working hard to fight those cancerous cells and moreover it heals the healthy cells that were damaged by the treatment. Do not feel guilty about to taking time for your own and always ask others to help you out. Furthermore you should plan your most important activities for time of day when you feel most of the energetic in such situation or time you can utilize your energy.